The objectives and purposes of the American Osteopathic Board of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AOBOO-HNS) are:
- Define and determine the qualifications required of osteopathic physicians for certification in the field(s) of ophthalmology, otolaryngology and otolaryngology/facial plastic surgery and any other specialty, subspecialty and/or certification of added qualifications that may be assigned to this Board.
- Conduct examinations in conformity with the Rules and Regulations of this Board.
- Issue certificates, subject to the recommendation of the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists of the American Osteopathic Association, to those osteopathic physicians who are found qualified.
- Recommend revocation of certificates for cause.
- Use every means possible to maintain a high standard of practice within the osteopathic profession.
- Offer a recertification process, as approved by the Bureau and the AOA Board of Trustees. Issue certificates, subject to the approval of the Bureau, of recertification to candidates who successfully complete the recertification process.